Reports‎ > ‎

Spirited comeback seals late win for Junior A’s

posted 31 Mar 2012, 13:04 by Unknown user   [ updated 31 Mar 2012, 15:09 ]
Young Irelands 2-13 Carlow Town 1-15

Gowran, 31st March 2012

A Last minute Sean Kehoe point sealed a win for our junior A’s in the first league game of the year. On what was a fine but cool evening in Gowran, they put in a spirited second half performance to come from six points down.

Sean Kehoe opened the scoring registering his first score of seven on his return to competitive action after a second stint on the sidelines with a recurring cruciate injury. Both teams shared another point, Gowran’s a Kehoe free, before the first green flag of the evening. A high ball broke in the square and was whipped passed a hapless James O’Neill, who later made two good saves. Moments later Tom Drennan supplied a long delivery forward, Thomas Carroll gathered, turned and drove to the net for a quick response. Carlow Town notched three more minor scores with Thomas Carroll adding one for Irelands. At this point Carlow town took over scoring seven points to Gowran’s two and at the half lead 1-10 to 1-5. Gowran’s final two scores of the half came from Sean Kehoe.

The second half started with a pointed free from Kehoe and a long range effort from Emmett Byrne, both points being cancelled out by Carlow Town responses. Carlow added one more point leaving Irelands six points down. From here came the comeback. Willie Bolger turned smartly, beat two men and kicked to the net, immediately followed by a lovely point off the stick from Byrne. Carlow replied but things were levelled up following points from Kehoe and two frees from Tom Drennan, both from his own 65. Carlow reclaimed the lead with three minutes left but Thomas Carroll scored a lovely point from the right and soon after released Kehoe to score the winner.

Team: James O’Neill, Ger Corcoran, Jack Glendon, Paul Byrne, Eoin Welsh, Tom Drennan (0-2, 2f), Mark Dargan, Michael Lennon, Emmett Byrne (0-2), Declan Bennett, Willie Bolger (1-0), Sean Kehoe (0-7, 2f), Liam Drea, Thomas Carroll, Alan Roche Subs: Danny Glendon for Liam Drea (Half-time), Patrick Lennon for Ger Corcoran (Half-time)